5 Indian Dishes you must taste before you die
India amazes us all with its diverse culture, traditions, history and lets’s not forget FOOD. If you visit India, you’ll find that the variety in food keeps on changing every 100 miles as the food changes along with the culture. Indian food is not just limited to spicy curries; there’s so much more to explore and satisfy your stomach with. Whether you get a chance to go on a trip to India or not, there are some tasty Indian dishes which you must try before you die. Here are five of them-
- BIRYANI – It is a rice preparation where Indian Basmati rice is combined with delicious spices, chicken or mutton and a whole lot of vegetables. It is served with salad and raita (yogurt with onions and cucumber). If you happen to be in Hyderabad, do try the infamous Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani served with ‘salan’ which is a unique green chili curry; you’ll not regret it. Biryani is available throughout India in many variants, so don’t miss out on this one.
- BUTTER CHICKEN – This unique dish is one of the most popular dishes among meat eaters around the world and sort of the pride of Indian Cuisine. To make it juicy and succulent, chicken is marinated in a mixture of yogurt and spices overnight and then cooked in a special butter sauce comprising of tomato puree and special Indian spices. Butter Chicken is mostly served with ‘naan’ or ‘roti’ (both different Indian pieces of bread) but can be eaten with rice as well. Just thinking about the rich gravy and tender chicken will get you salivating!
- MASALA DOSA – Dosa is a crispy wafer-like flatbread made out of rice batter. It is filled with a mixture of mashed potatoes and South Indian spices and served with ‘sambhar’ (lentil sauce) and a variety of chutneys. Dosa has many variants, but Masala Dosa is the best of them all and an all time South Indian classic. Though dosas are ubiquitous in India, they taste best in the southern states of India from where they originated. They are very easy to prepare so you can enjoy this beautiful dish at your place too!
- CHAAT – Chaat is the infamous fast food from the streets of North India. In India, you’ll find chaat in every nook and corner, and it will taste different at every other place. It makes up a whole other category under Indian cuisine and has now become popular worldwide. Raj Kachori, Pani Puri, Dahi Bhalle, Bhel Puri, Papdi Chaat are all different kinds of chaat which are heavily influenced by taste and texture by the regional changes. They are light on your stomach but high on spices. The most famous of all is Pani Puri/Gol Gappa which are small crisp round bread filled with spiced mint water, tamarind paste, potato, onions, and chickpeas. Do not forget to try these amazing varieties of chaat whenever you visit India.
- CHOLE BHATURE – This dish is a typical North Indian breakfast item, also a widely available street food. It consists of fluffy fried bread (Bhatura) with a gravy made of chickpeas (Chole) served with pickled onions and mint chutney. Crisp, yet spongy Bhaturas are used to mop up the ‘chole.’ If you have this for breakfast, you are bound to have a good day.
Don’t limit yourself to these five dishes only. Explore, and you’ll find that Indian cuisine is so diverse and how the flavors are influenced by the climate, culture, traditions, etc. It is appreciated for its use of herbs and spices and known for its large assortment of dishes. So let your taste buds have an enjoyable experience!